What Are Boating Lights?
Other than captaining your own plane, there are few other liberties as worthwhile as having your own boat and sailing where you please. A boat is the epitome of freedom for many because it allows you to go where you want, when you want. However, this thrill means that you might have to sail at night and in the dark, an endeavor which can be dangerous. One of the first and oldest safety measures is the use of lights on your boat.
Boats have lights on the interior and exterior. Exterior lights are important in being able to signal to other boats in cases of emergency.
Best Boating Lights For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of boating lights available to buy:
- Perfect purchase for a gift
- Great craftmanship
- A must buy item
- Battery operated all-around stern and bow lights
- Each light requires 3 AAA batteries (not included)
- GET A SIGHT OF LIGHT. Aura LED Boat Interior Lighting Kit is bright enough to see and guide you along the walkway of your boat while assisting in reducing eye strain on that night ride.
- STANDOUT FROM THE REST. Enhance the look of your boat with a full premium lighting kit including special features that provide your family and friends unforgettable memories as you sail off to sea.
- MULTIPLE FEATURES PLUS 2 REMOTES. 16 color options. 5 pre-made light patterns. Brightness control. SoundSync feature. All controlled by 2 WIRELESS REMOTES.
- IT'S TOUGH AND WEATHERPROOF. Aluminum cased pods filled with IP67 rated waterproof silicone protects against water, sand, dirt, and snow. Plus, simple and reliable mounting with an included 25kg-rated 3M automotive tape. All provided to ensure a full 30,000 hr lifetime.
- INSTALL IT YOURSELF. Quick and simple installation with a complete kit provided. Double Sided adhesive tape will ensure a durable grip wherever you choose to stick it.
- 8Pack; 3LEDs; Clear/Blue; 12V; Recess Mounted; 3" x 1-1/4"; Waterproof; Black Finish Stainless Steel Bezel
- This LED Stainless Courtesy Light for your camper trailer, marine, boat, caravan, RV applications.
- both suitable for all of your interior and exterior applications as a courtesy light, step light, accent light, or garden light.
- It is equipped with a waterproof construction, and can provide a trustworthy pedestrian lighting for your walkways and assist with the privacy of your gardens.
- features a recessed mounting design, harmonizes well with any architectural building.
- Partsam 4Pack 3" LED Oblong Stainless Courtesy Light Accent Yacht Marine Boat - Clear/White Light
- This small oval LED convenience, courtesy, reading and map light is an ideal lighting source for your RV, Truck, Car, Utility Vehicle, Boat or Aircraft; suitable for interior or exterior courtesy lighting on walkways, step or storage areas; found in high-end automotive and marine vehicles worldwide; Recessed mount.
- 3LEDs; Clear/White; Surface mount design; Snap-on Bezel; Highly polished Stainless Steel Bezel; Ideal as a map, reading, chart, foot well, convenience, or utility lamp; Dimension: 3in. x 1-1/4in. x 2/5in.
- Featuring a slim and stylish design these lamps are ideal for illuminating onboard areas such as steps, stairs, toe kicks, storage areas, companion ways, deck fittings, signs and switches; Lamps can be installed on a vessel's interior or exterior, in wet or dry conditions
- Stylish and easy to install LED courtesy lamps provide safe, reliable and energy efficient lighting for interior or exterior applications; Oblong LED lamps are now available in a surface mount design for easier installation while still offering all the quality, efficiency and reliability
- Injection molded nylon / aluminum
- Approved for USCG 2 NM (Colreg 2 mile)
- Mounts on 1-1/4" square tubing
- Courtesy Companion Way LED Light, White Bezel, 3 blue LEDs, hidden fasteners provide clean, no screw-head exposed installation
- Standard 2-1/4" LED Square Courtesy Light/Companion Way Light with Frosted PC Lens
- Great for Compartments, Rod Lockers, Gear Bins; Lights a Pathway or Storage Area
- Circuit board completely sealed in epoxy to resist water, corrosion and vibration
- 12 Volt LEDs have low Amp draw and long life (up to 100,000 hours)
- ONE YEAR WARRANTY: Buy with confidence, our product provides 1 year warranty. If any questions, please contact us directly.
- APPLICATION: DC 12V operated and with 9Pcs Germany 5050 led chips, can produce a very visible light of 2 miles, best idea for boat stern lights, deck lights, and boat interior lights on Marine Boat Pontoon Kayak Yacht Motorboat Vessel Dinghy Catamaran.
- EASY TO INSTALL: The 3M strong Double-sided adhesive on the back of the strip light enables you to mount it in any where you want, and the 4PCS screws will help you fix it more stable. Don't worry about it falling off.
- IP67 WATERPROOF: Professional marine strip lights, Raining Resistant, Washing Resistant, Seawater Splashing Resistant .
- LOW POWER CONSUME: Energy-saving, Low temperature, Low Amp Draw For a Longer Lifespan over 50,000 hours.
- LED Livewell Light; Clear/Blue; Light Diameter 1-1/4"; LED Type: 1x 5050-SMD; Voltage&Watt: 0.02A, 0.24W; 3/4" thru-wall mounting design; IP68; 100% Waterproof
- This LED light will illuminate your livewell and small utility area; good for use in livewells, lockers, compartments, bulkheads and other exterior applications.
- Submersible and can be mounted directly to the side of the livewell, includes waterproof gasket and tightening nut; Can be used above or below water level with through-wall mounting, about 3/4" Thru-hull mounting design;
- Completely sealed, power saving LED Livewell / Baitwell lamps are designed for installation into live bait tanks. These lights are completely sealed and waterproof, energy efficient and bright. Low Amp Draw For Longer Battery Life
- Supplied with a plastic nut and rubber gaskets for a watertight seal, installation is easy and secure into often inaccessible locations.
How Are Boating Lights Used?
To fully enjoy your boating experience, you must make sure to follow certain rules related to lights on boats. These rules vary depending on many factors, such as the size and class of your boat. When looking at boating navigation lights and boating lights, keep the following in mind. These rules are in place for your safety.
- Sidelights should be red and green for the port and starboard, respectively. They should cover dead ahead up to 112.5 degrees aft on both sides.
- The stern should have white lights which shine aft and 67.5 degrees forward on either side.
- Boating lights should have all-around white lights that cover 360 degrees.
- The lights on the masthead should be white and go from the port side at 112.5 degrees around up to 112.5 degrees on the starboard side, above the sidelights.
- You are allowed to combine your sidelights into one bicolor light.
- If your sailboat is less than 20 meters, you need to have sidelights as well as a stern light. You may combine the sidelights into a bicolor light and have stern lights, or you may have a tricolor light on top of the mast. To avoid collisions on boats smaller than 7 meters, an electric torch or lantern is mandatory.
- If your vessel uses oars, you may use either a electric torch or lantern or have sailboat lights.
If you find yourself boating at night, these rules are extremely important because they will help you avoid collisions with other vessels. The importance of these light requirements may be overlooked over the greater joys of boating, but these requirements are intended to keep everyone safe.
Remember that it is always better to be safe than sorry. If you keep to these guidelines for boating lights, you will be able to enjoy all the pleasures that your boat has to offer without being concerned about breaking the law or putting anyone in danger.
The Latest In Boating Lights
Boating Lights Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of boating lights: