What Are Flashlights?
Humanity’s ways of providing a portable light source have come a long way since the days of the crude torch. With the invention of the flashlight by David Misell in 1899, humanity’s way of finding a bright spot in the dark became a lot easier. While modern flashlights are much more reliable than the crude “flash” of light provided by Misell’s invention over a century ago, modern day flashlights still provide a way to shed light on the world in areas where a traditional light source is either inaccessible or dangerous to use. The modern flashlight ranges from the small, dollar store AAA powered bulbs with colorful cartoon characters printed on the casing to industrial strength emergency response flashlights intended for use in hurricane response settings, and can come in an ever wider range of makes, models, bulb types, and power sources.
How it Works
The traditional flashlight uses the energy stored in dry-cell batteries or other forms of energy transference, such as a crank handle device that transfers kinetic energy into the flashlight’s internal electronics, generating a source of light. The batteries are connected to the light source, either a traditional incandescent bulb or another kind of light source, such as LED and mercury bulbs, by a conductor metal. The switch on the outside of a flashlight either completes or breaks the connection between the metal on the batteries and the metal base of the light source, which allows the flashlight to turn off and on. While flashlights operate off of some of the simplest electronic components, to the point where it is possible to operate a flashlight using a potato for a battery, the wide range of uses and types of flashlights outshines their simplistic technological components.
Best Flashlights For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of flashlights available to buy:
- 3 AA Standard Alkiline Battery(Not Included), Voltage:4.5V (Rechargeable battery is not recommended!)
- 51 UV LED allow to cover a larger area
- Perfect for outside use such as hunting scorpions and minerals!
- Emits 390 to 395 nanometer wavelength
- Tips:Improper usage of batteries or using poor quality of batteries could cause hazard issue to your safety.We recommend to use reliable quality batteries. Any issues caused by batteries DO NOT covered by the manufacturer warranties.
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (200 feet beam) - wide variety of white & red light modes + 90° tiltable body makes this headlight brightest and most versatile in its class. SOS and strobe mode will keep you safe in any situation.
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE - why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to last. It is rated to IPX5, which means it is protected against splashing or spraying water from any angle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE - you won't even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily adjustable, ergonomically designed elastic headband makes this light perfect for long distance runners or anyone else looking for a comfortable fit.
- SUPER LONG BATTERY LIFE - by using leading CREE - 3W technology MX20 provides more light with less power used, resulting in up to 45 hours of run-time. 3 AAA ENERGIZER batteries included. Each headtorch has been tested for quality and is ready for adventure!
- 100% SATISFACTION, NO QUESTIONS ASKED MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - we are so confident you will love our headlamp that we offer money back guaranty with complete lifetime warranty. Click "ADD TO CART" button now and have your FOXELLI MX20 headlamp shipped today!
- Hands free, hassle free---why waste your time and money fiddling with flashlights and buying extra batteries for your head work light? with cobiz' rechargeable headlamp, you can have a reliable, hands-free led headlight to brighten up your environment, leaving you free to work, read, and explore whenever and wherever you want.
- Four modes for infinite uses---whether you prefer to use the lowest, most focused setting, the wider and splashier medium and high modes, or the bright emergency-ready strobe light, this movable led head light is prepared to adjust to a full range of lighting needs
- Waterproofed for outdoor used---on the outside, there's a waterproof switch that's safe to use even when it's raining. on the inside, there's high-quality, leakage-resistant, waterproof wiring, there to make sure your light stays on even when that rain is soaking through.
- Fit for the whole family ---with a little help from the adjustable headband, you should be able to tailor this rechargeable head lamp to pretty much any friend, neighbor, or family member who joins in your outdoor (and indoor!) adventures.
- ...yes, we mean infinite uses: use these head lamps to keep both your hands free when you're working on a project in the garage, have one ready when the power goes out, or stock up on a whole set so you can take your family hiking and spelunking in safety- you won't be running out of uses for this cobiz creation any time soon!
- ADJUSTABLE FOCUS: Intense Spotlight for long range observation can up to 600 feet, Circle Floodlight for large area illumination
- SPECIAL POWER: High-Efficiency and Great Output LED Chip, Super Bright Handheld Light
- ADVANCED DESIGN: Skid-Proof design & Water Resistant design (Impressive performance among handheld flashlights)
- POWERE SOURCE: 1pc 18650 Lithium-ion Battery (Not included) or 3pcs AAA Battery (not included)
- FIVE LIGHT MODES: 3 Brightness Levels and 2 Security design modes
- ULTRA BRIGHT: Includes 30 individual low powered LED bulbs, designed for a longer lifespan. Carry 360° of luminous light while saving energy
- DEPENDABLE BUILD: Constructed with military grade; promising long-time durability, no matter where you go
- DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENCE: The extremely lightweight build allows you to take your lantern on the go with ease. When not in use collapse the lantern to a smaller size; store it effortlessly, taking little space
- LOW CONSUMPTION: Light up to 12 hours of regular, continuous use with enough battery capacity (AA battery included)
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: 90-day return refund guarantee, 2-year warranty and lifetime supported by Etekcity. FCC, ROHS certified.
- SUPER-BRIGHT: 900-lumen (max) Cree LED sweeps bright light over the length of about two football fields (660 ft / 200 m) and reaches nearly 1000 ft. Fully zoomable from wide to narrow beam. Features 5 adaptable settings: High / Medium / Low / Strobe / SOS.
- LONG-LASTING: Up to 6 hours (Medium-beam mode) of powerful, non-diminishing brightness from the included premium rechargeable 3350mAh battery. LEDs boast an extended 50000-hour lifespan. Recharge in just 6 hours with a 1A adapter (not included) and the included Micro USB cable.
- TOUGH & RELIABLE: IP65-rated water resistant and designed for use in heavy rain. Its durable aluminum body and shock-resistance endure rough handling.
- SMART DESIGN: A pocket-friendly compact chassis with an anti-slip finish holds fast in your hand or stands on-end as an emergency lamp.
- WHAT YOU GET: Anker Bolder LC90 Flashlight, 18650 3350mAh rechargeable battery, Micro USB cable, wrist strap, welcome guide, and our worry-free 18-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- One QuadPower LED and one DoublePower white LED emit 300 lumens
- Red SinglePower LED for night vision has dimming and strobe settings and activates without cycling through white mode
- PowerTap Technology allows instant transitioning between full and dimmed power
- LumensÂ :Â Â 300
- Weight With BatteriesÂ :Â Â 90 g (3.2 oz)
- STRONG BATTERY LIFE - Runs Off a Single AA Battery or a 14500 Rechargeable Battery (not included) & gives hours of use under normal conditions
- OFFICIAL NASCAR LIGHT - Official Flashlight of Joe Gibbs Racing and the Number 19 ARRIS Toyota Camry driven by Carl Edwards
- DURABLE - Heavy Duty, Compact and Tough as Nails makes the J5 tactical V1-PRO the perfect for Hunting, Camping, Outdoors etc
- THREE MODES - Intelligent, High / Low / Strobe Modes Means You Will be Ready For Anything That Comes Your Way
- Super Bright Flashlight: with 1000lm max output, 1150ft max lighting range, it's a good choice for cycling, hiking, camping and emergency.
- 5 Lighting Mode: High/Middle/Low/strobe/SOS. Zoomable design allows you to easily switch from a narrow beam to widespread coverage.
- Rechargeable Battery: Come with rechargeable 2800mAh 18650 Lithium battery, save your money and batteries.
- Safe: Charger have over charger protection, short circuit protection and reverse connect protection.
- Cree Led: Premium quality for your wonderful experience. With IPX5 rainproof for terrible weather.
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with 3 AAA batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, ADJUSTABLE FOCUS, & FIVE MODES - 5 Useful Settings (High|Medium|Low|Strobe|SOS) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, or camping. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse allowing for easy storage and quick access.
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Built for rough handling, this flashlight can survive a 10-foot drop or being temporary submerged under water. You can even freeze or run it over with a truck and it will still work! Suitable for use in rain, snow, or emergency situations.
- AS SEEN ON TV + BONUS - Same "military" tactical flashlight as seen on TV, shopping networks, and commercials but at a fraction of the price! Includes a bonus pouch/holster to safely store your flashlight.
- EXCEPTIONAL VALUE, 2 FLASHLIGHTS & 2 BONUS CASES - Keep one in your car, one in your home, or gift one to a friend or family member. Every genuine GearLight comes with a one-year no questions asked replacement warranty and friendly customer service provided by GearLight, a U.S.-based company.
The Latest In Flashlights
- Upgraded Brightness: The highest brightness is up to 1000lm, and it has 360-degree beam angle, providing you with sufficient brightness. Made of stripe panel housing, gives off the light evenly without dazzling.
- Dimmable: With 4 modes, you can adjust from 700lm (daylight white), 300lm (warm white), 1000lm (daylight white) to 1000lm (flash mode). You can also long press the switch to adjust the brightness, which is infinitely dimmable.
- Water Resistant: With the hook on the bottom, and a metal handle on the top, you can hang them upside down to get brighter light.IPX4 lantern means water splashing against the enclosure from any direction.
- Portable light: This portable light uses 3 D batteries (not included) as power supply, which enables you to carry the light to any place where you need a bright handy light.
- Application: You can use it for walking dog, camping, fishing, emergency usage or other activities.
Types of Flashlights
Flashlights come in a wide range of designs, from lanterns, which are used in camping and low- electricity situations to provide a more constant overhead light, to handheld flashlights. The term flashlight also includes headlamps, which are most often used during outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, or in tight areas such as crawlspaces where holding a flashlight would be bulky or nearly impossible. For the most part, headlamps and lanterns can include incandescent and LED light options depending on the price range and intended purpose, while most other forms of lighting come in the form of a handheld flashlight.
The most common and cheapest option for a flashlight is the incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulb is the same kind of light source used by the original flashlight in 1899, and as such is much cheaper and widely produced than some of the other options for flashlights. However, due to the fragile nature of the filament inside of the bulbs, these flashlights are one of the most breakable ones and are not recommended for high-impact situations. Due to the need to produce heat to create light, these bulbs also end up draining the batteries of the flashlights much quicker than some other options, so for long term situations another form of flashlight may be more useful.
LED flashlights are a fairly new technology that is rapidly developing. While LED lights are most commonly associated with multi-color decorative lights and electronic screens, LED flashlights come in “white” light options that have a more bluish tone to them. LED lights are very battery efficient, as they do not require the production of heat to turn on. With the bulbs being much less fragile than the incandescent options, LED lights are a good mid-range price point flashlight for an emergency kit or a camping trip. The only downside of a LED flashlight is that many people find the bluish light very unnatural and it can cause headaches in individuals that are prone to migraines.
HID, Xenon, Halogen, and Krypton
High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs are much more bulky and expensive than LED bulbs. The light is created by ionized gas, and as such the mechanics for creating the flashlight tend to be more complex and more expensive than your average flashlight. However, HID flashlights provide an intense beam of light and are long lasting. They are often used in industrial and emergency situations to create a high powered, focused beam to light to search an area or provide a clear line of site to a safe point. Xenon, Halogen, and Krypton are flashlights that have a pressurized gas inside the bulb to help increase the lifetime of the bulb itself. This allows these kinds of flashlights to produce one of the brightest lights possible for a hand-held flashlight without draining the batteries. However, they are not nearly as durable or reliable as LED flashlights.
Crank and Shake Flashlights
While crank flashlights are slowly moving out of fashion, these incandescent flashlights produce and store light through sheer manpower. The lights are charged through a crank handle, which allows for the storing of a small amount of energy. The energy acts as a renewable battery source, allowing these flashlights to work in an environment where batteries are limited. The modern day replacement for crank flashlights are the shake flashlight, which uses a pair of magnets to generate energy when shaken near each other. The interactions of the magnetic fields allow for the generation of a small amount of energy that produces a weak source of light. While the lights provided are not nearly as bright as some of the other options, the shake flashlight does not require batteries, allowing it to be readily used without concerns of keeping batteries on hand.
Here is a YouTube video explaining how flashlights are made:
When picking out the right flashlight type, keep in mind the intended use. For a children’s sleepover, an incandescent bulb is a cheap, entertaining option. However, for a hurricane or tornado kit, or for everyday use on the job, consider looking into more durable lighting options.