What Are Flashlights?
Humanity’s ways of providing a portable light source have come a long way since the days of the crude torch. With the invention of the flashlight by David Misell in 1899, humanity’s way of finding a bright spot in the dark became a lot easier. While modern flashlights are much more reliable than the crude “flash” of light provided by Misell’s invention over a century ago, modern day flashlights still provide a way to shed light on the world in areas where a traditional light source is either inaccessible or dangerous to use. The modern flashlight ranges from the small, dollar store AAA powered bulbs with colorful cartoon characters printed on the casing to industrial strength emergency response flashlights intended for use in hurricane response settings, and can come in an ever wider range of makes, models, bulb types, and power sources.
How it Works
The traditional flashlight uses the energy stored in dry-cell batteries or other forms of energy transference, such as a crank handle device that transfers kinetic energy into the flashlight’s internal electronics, generating a source of light. The batteries are connected to the light source, either a traditional incandescent bulb or another kind of light source, such as LED and mercury bulbs, by a conductor metal. The switch on the outside of a flashlight either completes or breaks the connection between the metal on the batteries and the metal base of the light source, which allows the flashlight to turn off and on. While flashlights operate off of some of the simplest electronic components, to the point where it is possible to operate a flashlight using a potato for a battery, the wide range of uses and types of flashlights outshines their simplistic technological components.
Best Flashlights For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of flashlights available to buy:
- ULTRA BRIGHT: Includes 30 individual low powered LED bulbs, designed for a longer lifespan. Carry 360° of luminous light while saving energy(batteries included)
- 4 LEVELS LIGHT CONTROL FOR UPGRADED LANTERN: Easily adjust the brightness with dimmer button to fit for camping, power outage, emergency or tent
- DEPENDABLE BUILD: Constructed with military grade; promising long-time durability, no matter where you go
- LOW CONSUMPTION: Light up to 12 hours of regular, continuous use with enough battery capacity (AA battery included)
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE: 90-day return refund guarantee, 2-year warranty and lifetime supported by Etekcity. FCC, ROHS certified
- Uses 3 AA Standard Alkaline Battery(Not Included). Hope you can understand.
- 51 UV LED allow to cover a larger area
- Perfect for outside use such as hunting scorpions and minerals!
- Emits 390 to 395 nanometer wavelength
- Tips:in order to keep the flashlight's lifetime,if you did not use it for a long time,please put off the battery.
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 600 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with a single AA battery or a 14500 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, FOCUS ADJUSTABLE, THREE MODES - 3 Useful Settings (High - Low - Strobe) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, hunting, camping or fishing. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse.
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Compact and tough as nails, this flashlight can survive a 9-foot drop or being temporary submerged in water. Some reviewers have even put It in a freezer and run it over with a truck and it will still work! Suitable for use in rain, snow, or emergency situations.
- GREAT VALUE & PEACE OF MIND - Keep one in your car, one in your kitchen and one in your garage, or gift one to a friend or family member. The compact size makes them ideal to keep in a pocket or purse for anyone who has to walk through a car park late at night. With the added security of the Strobe mode which can help disorientate any would be attackers.
- SATISFACTION 100% GUARANTEED - If you don't absolutely love your J5 Tactical Flashlight or if there are any issues with it at all. We will replace or refund your purchase. Every genuine J5 Tactical Flashlight comes with a one-year no questions asked replacement warranty and friendly customer service provided by J5 Tactical, a U.S.-based company.
- 4 lighting modes. 3 levels of white light brightness(2 leds, 10 leds and 18 leds) and a red flashing mode are available.
- Light weight and adjustable. Weighing only 2.85oz and with its easily adjustable, elastic headband, the headlamp is perfect for anyone who needs a headlamp.
- Water resistance. The IP44 rating means it is protected against splashing water from all angles.
- Wide applications. Perfect for night activities, like running, working, camping, jogging, fishing, bicycling,dog walking, reading etc.
- Package included: 1 x LED Headamp, 3 x trial AAA alkaline batteries are included for your convenience (Best with Polaroid AAA batteries).
- Aluminum Alloy Material, Durable and Compact and Zoomable Flashlight, Size: 3.71 x 0.95 x 0.95 inch
- Skid-proof and Water Resistant. Great for Hiking, Fishing and Camping BBQ and EDC
- Bright Flashlights: 300 Lumens (Max Output); 3 Models (Bright / Dim / Strobe) to Meet Your Everyday Use
- Special Design: Added Two Fluorescent Rings Which Shine in the Dark Night, Quickly Find in a Emergency Situations
- Power Source: 1*AA Battery (not include) or 14500 Rechargeable Battery (not include), Maximum Range is 100 Ft
- Super Bright. 300 Lumens (Max) output and 3 settings (bright / dim / strobe) to meet your everyday use.
- Skid-proof design & water-resistant design. Suitable for cycling, hiking, camping and other outdoor activities.
- Easy to carry. Super mini size, fits in the palm of your hand. Great for keeping in the car, toolbox or beside the couch.
- Zoom feature. Adjustable focus range to concentrate the beam or widen it to light up a bigger area.
- Power source: one 14500 rechargeable lithium-ion battery or one AA battery (not included)
- 【SUPER BRIGHT with 5 MODES】Powerful 1600 Lumen LED generates a brilliant large area floodlight or a perfectly focused spotlight over a beam distance of 656ft/200m. Adjustable focus with 5 modes: (High, Medium, Low, Strobe, SOS/Emergency).High quality of 50,000 hours working life.
- 【ADJUSTABLE FOCUS】Adjustable focus for use in different situations (just rotate torch head to adjust zoom).WSIIROON Cree LED flashlight allows you to select focus between spot and flood beams. Spotlight for long range observation and floodlight for large area illumination. High-quality XML-T6 LED bulb deliver consistent & optimum performance.
- 【WATERPROOF and SHOCKPROOF】Made of high quality aircraft grade alloy, premium type 3 hard-anodized anti-abrasive coating. Skid-proof, waterproof, explosion-proof and shockproof.Lotus shape attack top can protect the lens and break glass in emergency, precise numerical control cutting technology, rhombus skid-proof and waterproof.Water resistant from splashing water.It's perfect for use in the rain, snow or emergency situations.
- 【WIDELY USE】Easy to carry with you as a backup and is small enough to fit in your pocket, handbag, drawer, or car compartment. Takes 3 standard AAA or a single 18650 rechargeable. (Batteries Are Not Included).Perfect for camping, hiking, fishing, running, dog walking, power outages, ,emergencies, targeted searches and general household use.
- 【Important Note】Please make sure the products are only sold by【Wsiiroon】and 【Fulfilled by Amazon】, only the Wsiiroon products come with one-year warranty and five stars satisfied guarantee. It is kindly warned that any products from other stores are not genuine for which we will take no responsibility if there is any quality problem.
- SUPER BRIGHT CREE-3W LED TECHNOLOGY (60-meter beam) - wide variety of white & red light modes + 90° tiltable body makes this headlight brightest and most versatile in its class. SOS and strobe mode will keep you safe in any situation.
- WATERPROOF AND DURABLE - why equip yourself with anything but the best and most reliable headlamp? MX20 is built to last. It is rated to IPX5, which means it is protected against splashing or spraying water from any angle.
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE - you won't even notice wearing it. Weighing only 3.2 ounces (with batteries) with easily adjustable, ergonomically designed elastic headband makes this light perfect for long distance runners or anyone else looking for a comfortable fit.
- SUPER LONG BATTERY LIFE - by using leading CREE - 3W technology MX20 provides more light with less power used, resulting in up to 45 hours of run-time. 3 AAA ENERGIZER batteries included. Each headtorch has been tested for quality and is ready for adventure!
- 100% SATISFACTION, NO QUESTIONS ASKED MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - we are so confident you will love our headlamp that we offer money back guaranty with complete lifetime warranty. Click "ADD TO CART" button now and have your FOXELLI MX20 headlamp shipped today!
- One QuadPower LED and one DoublePower white LED emit 300 lumens
- Red SinglePower LED for night vision has dimming and strobe settings and activates without cycling through white mode
- PowerTap Technology allows instant transitioning between full and dimmed power
- LumensÂ :Â Â 300
- Weight With BatteriesÂ :Â Â 90 g (3.2 oz)
- ULTRA BRIGHT & LONG-LASTING - Easily light up an entire room or focus in on objects up to 1000 feet away! 10 times brighter than old incandescent lights. Conveniently powered for hours with 3 AAA batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery. (Batteries not included)
- COMPACT, ADJUSTABLE FOCUS, & FIVE MODES - 5 Useful Settings (High|Medium|Low|Strobe|SOS) and wide-to-narrow beam zoom makes it ideal for use around the house, dog walking, or camping. It is compact enough to fit in your pocket, backpack, or purse allowing for easy storage and quick access.
- WATER RESISTANT & VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE - Built for rough handling, this flashlight can survive a 10-foot drop or being temporary submerged under water. You can even freeze or run it over with a truck and it will still work! Suitable for use in rain, snow, or emergency situations.
- AS SEEN ON TV + BONUS - Same "military" tactical flashlight as seen on TV, shopping networks, and commercials but at a fraction of the price! Includes a bonus pouch/holster to safely store your flashlight.
- EXCEPTIONAL VALUE, 2 FLASHLIGHTS & 2 BONUS CASES - Keep one in your car, one in your home, or gift one to a friend or family member. Every genuine GearLight comes with a one-year no questions asked replacement warranty and friendly customer service provided by GearLight, a U.S.-based company.
The Latest In Flashlights
- Include Headlamp, 2 rechargeable batteries, Wall charger, Car Charger, Usb cable, User book.
- Please remove the plastic wrap off the batteries at first time use,otherwise it cant recharge.
- Lifespan reach up to 100,000 hours.Brightness up to 1800 lumens.
- 3-in-1Multi-Function Capability ;Can use as headlamp ,Waist lamps or Desk lamps
- Zoomable ,Adjustable ,Durable ,Hands-free ,Comfortable. 3 Modes Low, Mid, Strobe.
Types of Flashlights
Flashlights come in a wide range of designs, from lanterns, which are used in camping and low- electricity situations to provide a more constant overhead light, to handheld flashlights. The term flashlight also includes headlamps, which are most often used during outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, or in tight areas such as crawlspaces where holding a flashlight would be bulky or nearly impossible. For the most part, headlamps and lanterns can include incandescent and LED light options depending on the price range and intended purpose, while most other forms of lighting come in the form of a handheld flashlight.
The most common and cheapest option for a flashlight is the incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulb is the same kind of light source used by the original flashlight in 1899, and as such is much cheaper and widely produced than some of the other options for flashlights. However, due to the fragile nature of the filament inside of the bulbs, these flashlights are one of the most breakable ones and are not recommended for high-impact situations. Due to the need to produce heat to create light, these bulbs also end up draining the batteries of the flashlights much quicker than some other options, so for long term situations another form of flashlight may be more useful.
LED flashlights are a fairly new technology that is rapidly developing. While LED lights are most commonly associated with multi-color decorative lights and electronic screens, LED flashlights come in “white” light options that have a more bluish tone to them. LED lights are very battery efficient, as they do not require the production of heat to turn on. With the bulbs being much less fragile than the incandescent options, LED lights are a good mid-range price point flashlight for an emergency kit or a camping trip. The only downside of a LED flashlight is that many people find the bluish light very unnatural and it can cause headaches in individuals that are prone to migraines.
HID, Xenon, Halogen, and Krypton
High Intensity Discharge (HID) bulbs are much more bulky and expensive than LED bulbs. The light is created by ionized gas, and as such the mechanics for creating the flashlight tend to be more complex and more expensive than your average flashlight. However, HID flashlights provide an intense beam of light and are long lasting. They are often used in industrial and emergency situations to create a high powered, focused beam to light to search an area or provide a clear line of site to a safe point. Xenon, Halogen, and Krypton are flashlights that have a pressurized gas inside the bulb to help increase the lifetime of the bulb itself. This allows these kinds of flashlights to produce one of the brightest lights possible for a hand-held flashlight without draining the batteries. However, they are not nearly as durable or reliable as LED flashlights.
Crank and Shake Flashlights
While crank flashlights are slowly moving out of fashion, these incandescent flashlights produce and store light through sheer manpower. The lights are charged through a crank handle, which allows for the storing of a small amount of energy. The energy acts as a renewable battery source, allowing these flashlights to work in an environment where batteries are limited. The modern day replacement for crank flashlights are the shake flashlight, which uses a pair of magnets to generate energy when shaken near each other. The interactions of the magnetic fields allow for the generation of a small amount of energy that produces a weak source of light. While the lights provided are not nearly as bright as some of the other options, the shake flashlight does not require batteries, allowing it to be readily used without concerns of keeping batteries on hand.
Here is a YouTube video explaining how flashlights are made:
When picking out the right flashlight type, keep in mind the intended use. For a children’s sleepover, an incandescent bulb is a cheap, entertaining option. However, for a hurricane or tornado kit, or for everyday use on the job, consider looking into more durable lighting options.