What Are Low Voltage Transformers?
Low voltage transformers are devices that provide power to various forms of outdoor lighting, such as recessed lights and patio lights. These transformers provide constant power to your lighting options by transforming the standard voltage of a home power supply into the lower wattage required by many outdoor lights. Since most forms of outdoor lighting do not operate on the same line voltage supply as other kinds of home lighting, such as a standing or desk lamp, a low voltage transformer allows your outdoor lights to get the kind of power they need. Many forms of low voltage transformers include timer options so that your outdoor lighting of choice kicks on automatically without you having to worry about manually turning it on and off.
When choosing a low voltage transformer, make sure to take into account the total wattage of power needed for your lights. If you have six lights that require fifty watts each, you need a low voltage transformer that can provide at least 300 watts of power, if not more. A good rule of thumb is to make sure your low voltage transformer has 20% more wattage available than the lights plugged into it. This gives the transformer a bit of leeway and can help make sure your lights get an adequate amount of power without overdrawing your transformer.
Here are some of the different kinds of low voltage transformers and how they are used.
Best Low Voltage Transformers For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of low voltage transformers available to buy:
- 12 VOLTS DC OUTPUT SUITABLE FOR LED STRIP LIGHTS and other low voltage devices such as security cameras audio and video gear and more. Ideal for LED installations in living rooms shelving lighted cabinets toe-kicks and more
- PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR WALL OUTLET no hardwiring no soldering no electrician or electrical experience required. Includes output cable with a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack positive tip for connecting to your strip controller or dimmer
- USE ANYWHERE - Great for a variety of indoor / interior uses including undercabinet lighting in kitchens ambient accent lighting in bedrooms lighting toekicks in bathrooms or adding backlighting to displays decorations or book shelves
- RATED FOR 24 WATTS / 2A - Enough power to run one roll sixteen feet of 300 LED 3528 LED strip. Dimmable with 12-volt single color PWM dimmers and compatible with RGB controllers
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY UL-LISTED. Backed by a two year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation
- LED power supply widely used for LED strip lights, led light bulbs and any 12V DC led lights
- This item is power adapter (transformer) of Low Voltage Single colour or RGB LED strip lights
- Easier installation, save time and more securer cable connection
- Simply & Professional appearance for power cabling
- Please be kindly informed that the total wattage of LED strip lights should not exceed the max wattage of this adaptor
- Energy efficient and stable 24V DC power supply
- 5.5x2.5mm (center positive) output jack with spring clips compatible with many electronic devices
- UL-listed and CE certified, automatic thermal & overload cut-off, short circuit protection
- Detachable 55" power cord with 2-prong plug
- Suitable for use with electronic devices that require 24V DC and consume less than 60W of power
- IP68 waterproof rating
- Converts AC voltage to 12V DC
- Wire leads and 3-prong plug for easy connections
- Automatic thermal & overload cut-off, short circuit protection
- Efficient, long life, stable, and reliable
- Power Adapter Input Voltage AC 100-240V, US Plug,CE, FCC & UL Certification, Non-waterproof IP20
- AC DC Adapter Output Voltage DC 12V working perfectly with Signcomplex LED strips and any 12V DC led lights
- 12v Power Supply Max Current 8A, Max Wattage 100W, Length of AC Cord/Output Cord: 1.2m
- DC Power Supply Power adapter(transformer) for Low Voltage Single color or RGB LED strip light
- Switching Power Supply Come with a Power cord connector, easier installation, save time and more securer cable connection
- IP67 Waterproof 150 watt LED transformer includes 1pc LED outdoor waterproof transformer 12V DC, 12.5A
- 150W LED power supply driver transformer 120 to 12v: Widely used for LED strip lights, led light bulbs ,Computer Project,Industrial,Outdoor Light and any 12V DC led lights
- Short circuit / overload / over voltage / over temperature protection
- Safe Protection:Certificates CE/FCC approved,over voltage protection,short circuit protection and overload protection.Constant voltage output,to ensure the stability of the power supply
- Dimmable Highly Efficient Light and Compact Permanent Protection on Output
- 12V 2A Power Supply Input Voltage AC 100-240V, US Plug,CE, FCC & UL Certification, Non-waterproof IP20
- AC DC adapter Output Voltage DC 12V working perfectly with Signcomplex LED strips and any 12V DC led lights
- 12V DC Power Supply 2A Power Adapter Max Current 2A, Max Wattage 24W, Length of AC Cord/Output Cord: 1.2m
- 12volt DC Power Supply 2A Power adapter(transformer) for Low Voltage Single color or RGB 12V 3528/5050 LED Strip Lights
- Power Adapter Transformer Come with a Power cord connector, easier installation, save time and more securer cable connection
- HIGH CAPACITY - Will run a 300 LED roll of 3528 strips for two hours or a 300 LED roll of 5050 strips for one hour.
- COMPACT DESIGN fits just about anywhere. Keep it in a pocket to power LED strip lighting on clothing or costumes or attach it to a bicycle for increased visibility.
- SUITABLE FOR ANY 12V DC APPLICATION. Power LEDs, security or camera equipment, PC and computing accessories, or your made in USA products.
- RECHARGEABLE with included charger for hundreds of cycles of use. Male any 12 volt device battery operated!
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY. Backed by a one year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation
- Upgraded design released in 3 2018. The new design is smaller, lighter, has greater operating efficency, Better Compatibility, has over-current protection, and eliminates problems with buzzing and overheating.
- Compatible with 12v LED Strip light, LED puck light, module light or many other 12v LED lights
- Converts 110V AC to 12V DC while remaining compatible with standard TRIAC wall dimmers (including Lutron, Leviton, and most other standard household wall dimmers). Compatible with forward and reverse phase dimmers.
- Easy to install, mount, and wire. Included AC and DC cords can be removed for use in hard wire installations.
- Comes with 4.5 foot AC cord and 3.5 foot DC cord (both are detachable). DC cord has 5.5x2.1mm DC connector for use with most LED strip lights.
Types of Low Voltage TransformersWhen looking into the various types of low voltage transformers, the obvious changing factor is the wattage of each transformer. This factor aside, low voltage transformers usually come in two styles, with some additional features thrown in.
The first style of low voltage transformer is the electronic transformer. Electronic transformers are more compact than their counterparts, and as such are perfect for hard-to-reach lighting areas, such as recessed lights. Keep in mind, electronic transformers are less durable than other forms of electronic transformers, and as such need to be replaced more often to prevent shock or fire hazards and to keep them working in tip-top shape.
The second form of low voltage transformers are magnetic transformers. While larger than the electronic transformer, these transformers are more durable and can usually produce more power. With the ability to power up to 1200 watts, these transformers are perfect for larger lights and more complex lighting schemes. Bear in mind, they do tend to be a bit heavier than their magnetic counterparts, so keep that in mind when installing them.
While both kinds of transformers can come in plastic and metal options, you probably want to encase any plastic transformers in a metal housing, like a junction box, to make it easier to install. If a transformer is “enclosed” or “encased” congratulations! It’s all set for you to install and should be fairly easy to connect to a terminal block.
When picking a low voltage transformer, make sure to double check the wattage you need and the amount of lights you intend to install. Using more than one transformer is a good idea for larger lighting projects, and you can look into timer-based transformers to help take some of the micromanagement out of your outdoor lighting.
The Latest In Low Voltage Transformers
- CONVERTS 110V AC to 12V DC and works with LED compatible dimmer switches from Lutron, Leviton and more
- SMOOTH AND RELIABLE DIMMING from 0 to 100% with no flicker
- BARE WIRE CONNECTIONS AND KNOCKOUTS for easy installation to electrical code. See diagram in images for wiring instructions.
- CHOOSE AN APPROPRIATE LIGHT LEVEL for any room, any mood, or any time of day
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY, ETL-LISTED & MADE IN THE USA and backed by a FIVE year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation.
- 1) High quality Switch Power Supply Widely used in Industrial automation, LED display, communications, etc.
- 2) You can choose the input voltage (110V/220V) by switch.
- 3) Smart device surge protection for Shortage Protection, Overload Protection, Over Voltage Protection
- 4) Input: AC 110-220V /50-60Hz; Output : DC 12V, 30A / 360W.
- 5) In-Door Use Only!
- Waterproof slim design constant voltage style power supply, input: 100-240V AC, Output: 12V 2.5A
- The most popular power supply for LED strip lights, led light bulbs and other 12V DC led lights, IP67 rating making suitable for use wet or dusty environments
- Aluminum alloy enclosed housing, easy for heat dissipation and ensure stability
- Protections: short circuit, over load and over temperature
- High quality materials ensure the warranty to 3 years
Low Voltage Transformers Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of low voltage transformers: