What Are Low Voltage Transformers?
Low voltage transformers are devices that provide power to various forms of outdoor lighting, such as recessed lights and patio lights. These transformers provide constant power to your lighting options by transforming the standard voltage of a home power supply into the lower wattage required by many outdoor lights. Since most forms of outdoor lighting do not operate on the same line voltage supply as other kinds of home lighting, such as a standing or desk lamp, a low voltage transformer allows your outdoor lights to get the kind of power they need. Many forms of low voltage transformers include timer options so that your outdoor lighting of choice kicks on automatically without you having to worry about manually turning it on and off.
When choosing a low voltage transformer, make sure to take into account the total wattage of power needed for your lights. If you have six lights that require fifty watts each, you need a low voltage transformer that can provide at least 300 watts of power, if not more. A good rule of thumb is to make sure your low voltage transformer has 20% more wattage available than the lights plugged into it. This gives the transformer a bit of leeway and can help make sure your lights get an adequate amount of power without overdrawing your transformer.
Here are some of the different kinds of low voltage transformers and how they are used.
Best Low Voltage Transformers For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of low voltage transformers available to buy:
- 12 VOLTS DC OUTPUT SUITABLE FOR LED STRIP LIGHTS and other low voltage devices such as security cameras audio and video gear and more. Ideal for LED installations in living rooms shelving lighted cabinets toe-kicks and more
- PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR WALL OUTLET no hardwiring no soldering no electrician or electrical experience required. Includes output cable with a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack positive tip for connecting to your strip controller or dimmer
- USE ANYWHERE - Great for a variety of indoor / interior uses including undercabinet lighting in kitchens ambient accent lighting in bedrooms lighting toekicks in bathrooms or adding backlighting to displays decorations or book shelves
- RATED FOR 24 WATTS / 2A - Enough power to run one roll sixteen feet of 300 LED 3528 LED strip. Dimmable with 12-volt single color PWM dimmers and compatible with RGB controllers
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY UL-LISTED. Backed by a two year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation
- IP68 waterproof rating
- Converts AC voltage to 12V DC
- Wire leads and 3-prong plug for easy connections
- Automatic thermal & overload cut-off, short circuit protection
- Efficient, long life, stable, and reliable
- LED power supply widely used for LED strip lights, led light bulbs and any 12V DC led lights
- This item is power adapter (transformer) of Low Voltage Single colour or RGB LED strip lights
- Easier installation, save time and more securer cable connection
- Simply & Professional appearance for power cabling
- Please be kindly informed that the total wattage of LED strip lights should not exceed the max wattage of this adaptor
- Dimensions: 2.1" x 1.3" x .8"
- Upgraded design released in Nov 2017. The new design is smaller, lighter, has greater operating efficency, has over-current protection, and eliminates problems with buzzing and overheating.
- Converts 110V AC to 12V DC while remaining compatible with standard TRIAC wall dimmers (including Lutron, Leviton, and most other standard household wall dimmers). Compatible with forward and reverse phase dimmers.
- Easy to install, mount, and wire. Included AC and DC cords can be removed for use in hard wire installations.
- Comes with 4.5 foot AC cord and 3.5 foot DC cord (both are detachable). DC cord has 5.5x2.1mm DC connector for use with most LED strip lights.
- Compatible with 12v LED Strip light, LED puck light, module light or many other 12v LED lights
- Power 24 Watt, Input Voltage 100 -240 Volt, Output Voltage 12V DC 2000mA, Class 2 Power Supply
- Ultra-small size, Length 3.7 in/Width 1.8 in/Height 0.9 in
- Easy to install, mount, and wire
- Built-in intelligent chipset, anti-thunder, with circuit protection function, short circuit, overcurrent, vervoltage overload
- Suitable for MR11, MR16, G4 12V LED bulbs, lighting fixtures and moving sign applications
- Power 60 Watt, Input Voltage 100 -240V,Output Voltage 12V DC 5000mA, Class 2 Power Supply
- Ultra-small size,Length 4.5in/Width 1.8in/Height 1.2in. Certification: CE,UL,CB , FCC,ROHS
- Easy to install, mount, and wire;The starting time is less than 3 s
- Built-in intelligent chipset,anti-thunder,with circuit protection function,short circuit,over current,overvoltage overload
- Suitable for MR11, MR16, G4 12V LED bulbs, lighting fixtures and moving sign applications
- Dimmable Highly Efficient Light and Compact Permanent Protection on Output
- Max 75 watt 12 volt AC electronic transformer
- Class 2 remote transformer
- Input: 120 Volts, 60Hz, 0.635 Amps
- Output max load: 11.7 Volts, 40 kHz, 6.35 Amps
- Thermal auto reset 125c switch; UL listed
- 12 VOLTS DC OUTPUT SUITABLE FOR LED STRIP LIGHTS and other low voltage devices, such as security cameras, audio and video gear, and more. Ideal for LED installations in living rooms, shelving, lighted cabinets, toe-kicks, and more
- PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR WALL OUTLET, no hardwiring, no soldering, no electrician or electrical experience required. Includes output cable with a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack (positive tip) for connecting to your strip, controller, or dimmer.
- USE ANYWHERE - Great for a variety of indoor / interior uses including undercabinet lighting in kitchens, ambient accent lighting in bedrooms, lighting toekicks in bathrooms, or adding backlighting to displays, decorations, or book shelves.
- RATED FOR 60 WATTS / 5A - Enough power to run forty-five feet of 300 LED 3528 LED strip. Compatible with 12-volt single color PWM dimmers and RGB controllers.
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY, UL-LISTED. Backed by a two year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation.
Types of Low Voltage TransformersWhen looking into the various types of low voltage transformers, the obvious changing factor is the wattage of each transformer. This factor aside, low voltage transformers usually come in two styles, with some additional features thrown in.
The first style of low voltage transformer is the electronic transformer. Electronic transformers are more compact than their counterparts, and as such are perfect for hard-to-reach lighting areas, such as recessed lights. Keep in mind, electronic transformers are less durable than other forms of electronic transformers, and as such need to be replaced more often to prevent shock or fire hazards and to keep them working in tip-top shape.
The second form of low voltage transformers are magnetic transformers. While larger than the electronic transformer, these transformers are more durable and can usually produce more power. With the ability to power up to 1200 watts, these transformers are perfect for larger lights and more complex lighting schemes. Bear in mind, they do tend to be a bit heavier than their magnetic counterparts, so keep that in mind when installing them.
While both kinds of transformers can come in plastic and metal options, you probably want to encase any plastic transformers in a metal housing, like a junction box, to make it easier to install. If a transformer is “enclosed” or “encased” congratulations! It’s all set for you to install and should be fairly easy to connect to a terminal block.
When picking a low voltage transformer, make sure to double check the wattage you need and the amount of lights you intend to install. Using more than one transformer is a good idea for larger lighting projects, and you can look into timer-based transformers to help take some of the micromanagement out of your outdoor lighting.
The Latest In Low Voltage Transformers
- UL listed with the highest quality standard. Support 100v - 277v AC input
- Convert 110v AC to 12v DC Compatible with Forward and Reverse phase, Triac Dimmer. Work great with Lutron, Leviton and many other AC wall dimmers
- Support with 12v LED Strip light, LED puck light, module light or many other low voltage 12v LED lights
- 12v 60w dimmable Class 2 power supply driver is easy to install, mount and hard wire installation
- Newly designed with smooth dimming. require only 10% minimum load to eliminate buzzing and humming noise.
- QUANS 12V DC 10A 120W Universal Switching Power Supply
- High quality! Low Heat, No annoying noise! IN-DOOR USE ONLY!
- No installation instruction, wiring cable, on/off switch, or screws come with.
- Please DO NOT let the unit work long hours over rated current! Normally it is better to work under 80% of rated current.
- Used in Industrial automation, LED Strips, CCTV, LED display, Communications, etc.
- Switchex Product - First LED Driver + In-Wall Dimmer Switch in one unit, Simplifies LED installation by eliminating compatibility issues between driver and dimmer. Fits in a standard recessed electrical box.
- 100% - 1% SMOOTHING DIMMING - Output voltage is adjustable via sliding lever, main suapply output voltages remain within the regulation limit of +/- 3%. Short circuit, thermal runway, and over voltage protection.
- Power failure memory - If power is interrupted, SWITCHEX will return to setting prior to interruption. No derating required when ganging units.
- Input Voltage - 120VAC (108 ~ 132VAC), 50/60Hz (47 ~ 63Hz), Stand-by Power: ≤0.5W. Input Current: <1.0A @ 120VAC max load.
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY, UL LISTED, RoHS Certified, CE Certified & MADE IN THE USA and backed by a FIVE year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation.
Low Voltage Transformers Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of low voltage transformers: