What Are Low Voltage Transformers?
Low voltage transformers are devices that provide power to various forms of outdoor lighting, such as recessed lights and patio lights. These transformers provide constant power to your lighting options by transforming the standard voltage of a home power supply into the lower wattage required by many outdoor lights. Since most forms of outdoor lighting do not operate on the same line voltage supply as other kinds of home lighting, such as a standing or desk lamp, a low voltage transformer allows your outdoor lights to get the kind of power they need. Many forms of low voltage transformers include timer options so that your outdoor lighting of choice kicks on automatically without you having to worry about manually turning it on and off.
When choosing a low voltage transformer, make sure to take into account the total wattage of power needed for your lights. If you have six lights that require fifty watts each, you need a low voltage transformer that can provide at least 300 watts of power, if not more. A good rule of thumb is to make sure your low voltage transformer has 20% more wattage available than the lights plugged into it. This gives the transformer a bit of leeway and can help make sure your lights get an adequate amount of power without overdrawing your transformer.
Here are some of the different kinds of low voltage transformers and how they are used.
Best Low Voltage Transformers For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of low voltage transformers available to buy:
- LED power supply widely used for LED strip lights, led light bulbs and any 12V DC led lights
- This item is power adapter (transformer) of Low Voltage Single colour or RGB LED strip lights
- Easier installation, save time and more securer cable connection
- Simply & Professional appearance for power cabling
- Please be kindly informed that the total wattage of LED strip lights should not exceed the max wattage of this adaptor
- 12 VOLTS DC OUTPUT SUITABLE FOR LED STRIP LIGHTS and other low voltage devices such as security cameras audio and video gear and more. Ideal for LED installations in living rooms shelving lighted cabinets toe-kicks and more
- PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR WALL OUTLET no hardwiring no soldering no electrician or electrical experience required. Includes output cable with a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack positive tip for connecting to your strip controller or dimmer
- USE ANYWHERE - Great for a variety of indoor / interior uses including undercabinet lighting in kitchens ambient accent lighting in bedrooms lighting toekicks in bathrooms or adding backlighting to displays decorations or book shelves
- RATED FOR 24 WATTS / 2A - Enough power to run one roll sixteen feet of 300 LED 3528 LED strip. Dimmable with 12-volt single color PWM dimmers and compatible with RGB controllers
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY UL-LISTED. Backed by a two year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation
- 2 pin connector for 10mm wide SMD5050 5630 single color LED strip
- Working Condition: Can be able to stand up to 4A current and 0-24V voltage; Heat resistance level from -20 ~ 100 degree C.
- One end with clip to strip, the other with wires as lead; Solderless quick snap down
- Compatible with both waterproof and non-waterproof light strips (Please peel off silicon on the surface around soldering line area when install waterproof strips )
- Package includes: 10x 2 pin connectors for 10mm SMD5050 5630 single color LED strip lights. Please search B01DM7GXIA on Amazon for 4 pin 10mm 5050 RGB strip connectors; Search B01DM7F052 for 8mm 3528 2835 LED strips.
- Dimensions: 2.1" x 1.3" x .8"
- Output of 16 V AC 10 VA
- Input 120V AC 60Hz
- Use with wired door chimes and pushes
- IP68 waterproof rating
- Converts AC voltage to 12V DC
- Wire leads and 3-prong plug for easy connections
- Automatic thermal & overload cut-off, short circuit protection
- Efficient, long life, stable, and reliable
- Power 60 Watt, Input Voltage 100 -240V,Output Voltage 12V DC 5000mA, Class 2 Power Supply
- Ultra-small size,Length 4.5in/Width 1.8in/Height 1.2in. Certification: CE,UL,CB , FCC,ROHS
- Easy to install, mount, and wire;The starting time is less than 3 s
- Built-in intelligent chipset,anti-thunder,with circuit protection function,short circuit,over current,overvoltage overload
- Suitable for MR11, MR16, G4 12V LED bulbs, lighting fixtures and moving sign applications
- 12 VOLTS DC OUTPUT SUITABLE FOR LED STRIP LIGHTS and other low voltage devices, such as security cameras, audio and video gear, and more. Ideal for LED installations in living rooms, shelving, lighted cabinets, toe-kicks, and more
- PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO YOUR WALL OUTLET, no hardwiring, no soldering, no electrician or electrical experience required. Includes output cable with a standard 5.5 x 2.1mm DC jack (positive tip) for connecting to your strip, controller, or dimmer.
- USE ANYWHERE - Great for a variety of indoor / interior uses including undercabinet lighting in kitchens, ambient accent lighting in bedrooms, lighting toekicks in bathrooms, or adding backlighting to displays, decorations, or book shelves.
- RATED FOR 60 WATTS / 5A - Enough power to run forty-five feet of 300 LED 3528 LED strip. Compatible with 12-volt single color PWM dimmers and RGB controllers.
- HITLIGHTS QUALITY, UL-LISTED. Backed by a two year warranty from HitLights for peace of mind. Contact our US-based customer service team at any time for no-hassle troubleshooting and replacement or for any questions about purchasing or installation.
- Max 75 watt 12 volt AC electronic transformer
- Class 2 remote transformer
- Input: 120 Volts, 60Hz, 0.635 Amps
- Output max load: 11.7 Volts, 40 kHz, 6.35 Amps
- Thermal auto reset 125c switch; UL listed
Types of Low Voltage TransformersWhen looking into the various types of low voltage transformers, the obvious changing factor is the wattage of each transformer. This factor aside, low voltage transformers usually come in two styles, with some additional features thrown in.
The first style of low voltage transformer is the electronic transformer. Electronic transformers are more compact than their counterparts, and as such are perfect for hard-to-reach lighting areas, such as recessed lights. Keep in mind, electronic transformers are less durable than other forms of electronic transformers, and as such need to be replaced more often to prevent shock or fire hazards and to keep them working in tip-top shape.
The second form of low voltage transformers are magnetic transformers. While larger than the electronic transformer, these transformers are more durable and can usually produce more power. With the ability to power up to 1200 watts, these transformers are perfect for larger lights and more complex lighting schemes. Bear in mind, they do tend to be a bit heavier than their magnetic counterparts, so keep that in mind when installing them.
While both kinds of transformers can come in plastic and metal options, you probably want to encase any plastic transformers in a metal housing, like a junction box, to make it easier to install. If a transformer is “enclosed” or “encased” congratulations! It’s all set for you to install and should be fairly easy to connect to a terminal block.
When picking a low voltage transformer, make sure to double check the wattage you need and the amount of lights you intend to install. Using more than one transformer is a good idea for larger lighting projects, and you can look into timer-based transformers to help take some of the micromanagement out of your outdoor lighting.
The Latest In Low Voltage Transformers
- The Model of LED Driver:Input: 90-260V AC 50/60HZ. Output: 12V DC 5A 60W
- Automatic protection for Short circuit / overload / over voltage / over current / over temperature.Protection type: Hiccup mode, auto-recovery after fault condition is removed
- Wide Range of LED Power Supply : Suitable for LED strip lights, led light bulbs ,Computer Project,Industrial,Outdoor Light and any 12V DC led lights
- 100% Waterproof IP68 protect for outdoor use.Aluminum metal housing, easy for heat dissipation and ensure stability
- High quality with 3 year warranty.LED transformer certification: IP68,CE,ROHS etc
- Input: AC 100-240V 50/60Hz ,Output: 12V 5A,Max Wattage: 60W ,DC
- Cable Length about: 120cm,The adapters Connector: inside positive (+) . outside negative (-)
- Automatic overload cut-off, over Voltage cut-off, automatic thermal cut-off, short circuit protection.
- Suitable for 5050 2835 LED strips light or LED modules, etc.
- Provide one year warranty, During the warranty period,free to replace damaged cargo with product.
Low Voltage Transformers Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of low voltage transformers: