Top Light Bulbs
Whether you’ve stepped foot along a busy street at night, watched cars pass outside your window, or simply opened the fridge to look for something to eat at 3 am, you’re sure to have come into contact with a light bulb at some point in your day to day life.
In technical terms, a light bulb is an invention that produces light when connected to a powering circuit. This can include a wide range of lights from the fluorescent lights of school hallways to the halogen lights in the front of your SUV. But how well do you know the ins and outs of what makes up these amazing pieces of technology we take for granted?
Best Light Bulbs For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of light bulbs available to buy:
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Add additional Smart light points to your home and expand your Philips Hue ecosystem with this 4-bulb White Smart Bulb pack. Requires the Philips Hue hub for full experience, sold separately
- Turn lights on/off, dim to the desired level and set up schedules from wherever you have WiFi connection using the Philips Hue App (iOS and Android). Control your Philips Hue lights with your voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant
- To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub (sold separately). Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App
- Connect the bulbs directly to your other Smart Home Devices like Amazon Echo Plus, Nest, or SmartThings systems. Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- These LED lamps make an energy-efficient replacement and substitute for standard 60 watt incandescent lamps. At 8.5 watts, each bulb emits the bright light output of 800 lumens
- These bulbs are a great energy-saving replacement for old incandescent bulbs because each lamp has a total lifespan of up to 11, 000 hours. You won't need to constantly change your lightbulbs anymore
- These LED lightbulbs require less energy and can save money on your energy bill. Each soft white light bulb works as a great replacement for old 60W incandescent bulbs
- These LED light bulbs have a Color temperature of 2700 kelvin, which produces a soft white Color. This bulb is perfect for your nightstand, living room, or dining room
- With a life of 15,000 hours, the bulb will last over 13 years (based on 3 hours of use each day)
- Provides 800 lumens of light immediately, with no waiting time to warm up to full brightness
- With a correlated color temperature of 2700 Kelvin, this bulb provides a soft white light, creating a comfortable atmoshphere for any room
- This LED light bulb uses only 10.5 watts of energy, saving up to $81.68 over the life of the bulb vs. its incandescent equivalent (based on 3 hours/day, 11 cents/kWh, may vary depending on rates and use)
- This bulb costs only $1.26 per year to operate (based on 3 hours/day, 11 cents/kWh) making it an economical alternative to incandescent bulbs
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Choose from 16 million colors to instantly change the look and atmosphere of your room or control your lights with your Voice device. Requiring the Hue hub (sold separately) for the full Hue experience
- Voice control: Control your Philips Hue lights with your voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant. Pair it for home automation with your existing Nest or Samsung SmartThings system
- To install, simply screw in the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub. Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App. Ideal for your favorite ceiling fan lights, floor lamps, table lamps, pendant lights, and more throughout your home
- Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- Philips A19 LED light bulbs provide 800 lumens of soft white light, equivalent to 60-watt incandescents with 80% less energy use. These bulbs fit standard medium base (E26) fixtures with the look and feel of a classic bulb
- At 2700-Kelvin, these soft white bulbs offer warm and comfortable lighting with high CRI (color rendering index) to deliver bright, crisp color ideal for whole room ambient light as well as in area lamps.
- These high-value Philips LEDs offer durable, shatter-free plastic construction. Philips LEDs turn on instantly with energy-efficient flicker-free, natural light that won't degrade over time
- LED light bulbs last up to 10X longer than incandescent and halogen bulbs. Unlike fluorescent and compact fluorescent bulbs, Philips LEDs are mercury-free so they don't contribute to hazardous waste.Not for use with Philips HUE products
- Each bulb in this pack of 16 A19 Philips LEDs is expected to deliver a lifetime of up to 10,950 hours and over 10 years (based on three hours per day), saving you the cost and hassle of frequent bulb replacement
- This 65-watt bulb casts a soft white glow with reduced glare using uniform, diffused illumination.
- Versatile for multiple applications, this 2710-Kelvin bulb is ideal for use in indoor recessed cans and track light fixtures. Dimming feature makes it easy to create the right ambiance for any activity.Voltage:120
- Features a Medium Screw base. Flipping the switch immediately lights your room to full brightness; no slow starting or waiting.
- Philips reuses as much glass and packaging material as possible, reducing environmental impact. Estimated annual energy cost of $7.83 (based on three hours/day).
- This product ships as a 12-pack.
- TAKE CONTROL: The Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch allows you to control your Philips Hue smart lights from the comfort of your couch or bed. The battery-powered Wireless Hue Dimmer Switch with Remote smoothly adjusts the intensity and color of your Philips Hue smart bulbs, and switches them on and off
- SCHEDULE YOUR OWN CUSTOM LIGHTING SCENES: When using your Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch with Philips Hue Smart Bulbs, you can use the on-button to switch between 4 light recipes without the Philips Hue app, or use the Philips Hue app to configure your 4 favorite scenes hue ecosystem. This is the perfect way to personalize your smart home
- LIMITLESS POSSIBILITIES: Control up to 50 lights using the Philips Hue hub, or use the Dimmer switch without the Philips Hue Hub to control up to 10 smart lights. The Philips Hue Dimmer switch doesn't require an internet connection to work
- MAXIMUM FLEXIBILIITY: Mount the Philips Hue Smart Dimmer Switch anywhere with the included screws or adhesive tape, the removable remote for ease of use. No re-wiring required
- EASY INSTALLATION: Install your Philips Hue device in a minute. Simply follow the instructions in the Philips Hue app. Our default settings give you immediate control over your smart lights. Customize the smart lighting scene settings in the app to fit your needs
- For use in Large/Full Size Authentic Scentsy candle warmers. Replaces KE-25WLITE.
- Designed to melt scented candle wax without over heating or under heating scented candlewax.
- Perfect replacement for use in Pink Zebra's Simmering Lights line of scented candle warmers.
- Length is 3.0" (in) Diameter is 2.06"(in)
- 1,500 Hours, 3200K, 180 Lumens, Candelabra (E12) Base
- Works with Alexa (Alexa device sold separately), Apple HomeKit and the Google Assistant for voice control
- Easy set up. LIFX screws in like any traditional light bulb. Simply download the app, connect to Wi-Fi and you're ready to go. No hub needed
- Built in Wi-Fi & LIFX cloud. Offers full Lighting control via Wi-Fi with our LIFX iOS, Android and windows 10 apps. Access your bulbs anywhere, anytime via the cloud
- Dimmable. Connected Lighting for your space, time of day, and mood. Experience how subtle adjustments in brightness can enhance the comfort of any room
- Intuitive control. Control lights individually or as Groups, set timers for one touch automation
- VOICE CONTROL: The Philips Hue White Smart Bulb works with Amazon Alexa to support dimming through voice control.
- SCHEDULE YOUR OWN CUSTOM LIGHTING SCENES: Philips Hue can make it seem like you're home when you're not, using the schedule function in the Philips Hue app. Set the smart bulbs to come on at a pre-set time, so the lights are on when you arrive home. You can even set rooms to light up at different times. And of course, you can let the smart lights turn off gradually in the night, so you never have to worry whether you've left any lights on. This is the perfect way to personalize your smart home.
- EASY INSTALLATION: To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub (sold separately). Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App
- EXPAND YOUR ECOSYTEM: Connect the smart bulb directly to your other Smart Home Devices like Amazon Echo Plus, Nest, or SmartThings systems. Easily expand your smart lighting system with hue accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
What is a Light Bulb?
While officially patented by Thomas Edison, the invention of the lightbulb predates his version by about seventy years with the invention of the arc lamp by Humphrey Davey in 1802. Simply made of a cotton filament that would glow when powered, this lamp was impressive but impractical. The light produced was too vibrant and the exposed filament posed a serious fire hazard. Further developments were made over the following years, including treating the cotton filament to prevent smoke and encasing the filament in a glass orb filled with nitrogen to produce a stronger flame.
While many individuals contributed on the invention of the light bulb we see today; Edison’s team is credited with perfecting the vacuum seal in modern light bulbs and spearheaded the use of carbonized bamboo filament to produce a longer-lasting light bulb. But we’ve come a long way from the early days of incandescent bulbs.
Types of Light BulbsWhile modern lightbulbs come in all shapes and sizes, most mass-produced version fall into one of four categories: incandescent, compact fluorescent (CFLs), Halogen, and LED bulbs. The first category, incandescent, is the same kind of bulb invented by Edison. By heating up a filament the bulb produces a steady, sustainable source of light. CFLs, on the other hand, superheat mercury to produce a tone controlled, cooler light source that is more cost and energy effective than their forerunners. These are the curly lights that you find in most lamp fixtures. Halogen bulbs, as well as Krypton and Xenon bulbs, work by heating up a filament or other conductor within a bulb that is filled with a type of gas. The type and coloration of the light produced comes from these different gases and how they react to the heat produced by the filament. While Krypton lights produce a very clear, white light, halogen bulbs are more yellow in nature.
The final type of lightbulb is the LED. Known for being more environmentally friendly and economically conservative than their counterparts, these light-emitting diodes take advantage of electroluminescence to produce a vibrant, often colorful light. Since these forms of light produce a very minimal amount of heat and can be made incredibly small, they are used in electronics and remote controls, as well as headlights and flashlights.
With so many different light bulbs to chose from, finding the right source of light for your home, office, work space, or yard can seem challenging. Make sure to keep in mind the different strengths and cost options available when looking to shed a little light on your home.
The Latest In Light Bulbs
No products found.
Light Bulbs Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of light bulbs: