Top Light Bulbs
Whether you’ve stepped foot along a busy street at night, watched cars pass outside your window, or simply opened the fridge to look for something to eat at 3 am, you’re sure to have come into contact with a light bulb at some point in your day to day life.
In technical terms, a light bulb is an invention that produces light when connected to a powering circuit. This can include a wide range of lights from the fluorescent lights of school hallways to the halogen lights in the front of your SUV. But how well do you know the ins and outs of what makes up these amazing pieces of technology we take for granted?
Best Light Bulbs For The Money
Here are some of the better examples of light bulbs available to buy:
- These LED lamps make an energy-efficient replacement and substitute for standard 60 watt incandescent lamps. At 8.5 watts, each bulb emits the bright light output of 800 lumens
- These bulbs are a great energy-saving replacement for old incandescent bulbs because each lamp has a total lifespan of up to 11, 000 hours. You won't need to constantly change your lightbulbs anymore
- These LED lightbulbs require less energy and can save money on your energy bill. Each soft white light bulb works as a great replacement for old 60W incandescent bulbs
- These LED light bulbs have a Color temperature of 2700 kelvin, which produces a soft white Color. This bulb is perfect for your nightstand, living room, or dining room
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Add additional Smart light points to your home and expand your Philips Hue ecosystem with this 4-bulb White Smart Bulb pack. Requires the Philips Hue hub for full experience, sold separately
- Turn lights on/off, dim to the desired level and set up schedules from wherever you have WiFi connection using the Philips Hue App (iOS and Android). Control your Philips Hue lights with your voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant
- To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub (sold separately). Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App
- Connect the bulbs directly to your other Smart Home Devices like Amazon Echo Plus, Nest, or SmartThings systems. Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately)
- Choose from 16 million colors to instantly change the look and atmosphere of your room or control your lights with your Voice device. Requiring the Hue hub (sold separately) for the full Hue experience
- Voice control: Control your Philips Hue lights with your voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant. Pair it for home automation with your existing Nest or Samsung SmartThings system
- To install, simply screw in the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub. Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App. Ideal for your favorite ceiling fan lights, floor lamps, table lamps, pendant lights, and more throughout your home
- Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- 1.5" globe bulbs. 25-count bulbs per pack
- Clear glass bulbs cast a warm white glow
- Fits Socket: C7 / E12 base,. Each Piece 120V/5W
- UL listed for Indoor and Outdoor Uses
- For G40 String lights, please search asin#B00RQHBZVS
- VOICE CONTROL: The Philips Hue White Smart Bulb works with Amazon Alexa to support dimming through voice control.
- SCHEDULE YOUR OWN CUSTOM LIGHTING SCENES: Philips Hue can make it seem like you're home when you're not, using the schedule function in the Philips Hue app. Set the smart bulbs to come on at a pre-set time, so the lights are on when you arrive home. You can even set rooms to light up at different times. And of course, you can let the smart lights turn off gradually in the night, so you never have to worry whether you've left any lights on. This is the perfect way to personalize your smart home.
- EASY INSTALLATION: To install, simply screw the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub (sold separately). Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App
- EXPAND YOUR ECOSYTEM: Connect the smart bulb directly to your other Smart Home Devices like Amazon Echo Plus, Nest, or SmartThings systems. Easily expand your smart lighting system with hue accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor
- VOICE CONTROL - LUMIMAN Smart bulb no hub compatible with Amazon Alexa Echo (via Smart Life), Echo dot and Google Home Assistant, control the wifi bulb via your voice, No hub required. (e.g. 'Alexa, set the bedroom to purple')
- REMOTE CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE - With the free PlusMinus App or LUMIMAN App on your smartphone or tablet, you can turn on/off the Alexa enabled smart light bulbs whether you are at home or away.
- MULTICOLOR AND SCHEDULE FEATURE - Create your favorite light effects with 16 million colors and the brightness of every color is dimmable. You may also set up schedules to turn on/off according to the preset time.
- WIDE APPLICATION - You can set different light modes on LUMIMAN App to match various occasions including kitchen, living room, bedroom. Wifi led smart light bulb also can be used for table lamp, cafe, bar, party, etc.
- SUPPORT AND WARRANTY - Friendly and professional support team are at your service 24/7; Products are with our worry-free 24-month warranty. NOTE: LUMIMAN WiFi smart light bulb only supports 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network
- MAXIMUM COMPATIBILITY: Pair your Hue smart bulbs with any voice or Smart Home assistant. Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple Homekit, Microsoft Cortana, SmartThings, IFTT. Hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately). For the full Hue experience and to take advantage of voice activation purchase the Philips Hue Hub.. Search "Philips Hue Hub" to find this product on Amazon.
- HASSLE-FREE CONNECTIVITY: Smart Lights that won't clog up your Wi-Fi network. Control up to 50 Hue lights on one Hue Hub without adding a Wi-Fi extender or extra router
- HOW TO USE: Install the flexible 80-inch LightStrip under bars, bed frames, or cabinets, with included adhesive tape. Trim it to the perfect size with the included cut marks. Extend your Philips Hue Lightstrip Plus up to 33 feet by adding the 40 inch Hue Lightstrip Extension to cover larger surfaces and enable wider applications"
- ULTIMATE ENTERTAINMENT EXPERIENCE: Sync your Hue lights with Gaming, Music and Movies using your PC via the Hue Sync app; Total lumen output- Fixture: 1600
- NEXT-LEVEL AUTOMATION: Hue is a Smart Lighting system that remembers your light routines and timers, even when your Wi-Fi goes down
- With a life of 15,000 hours, the bulb will last over 13 years (based on 3 hours of use each day)
- Provides 800 lumens of light immediately, with no waiting time to warm up to full brightness
- With a correlated color temperature of 2700 Kelvin, this bulb provides a soft white light, creating a comfortable atmoshphere for any room
- This LED light bulb uses only 10.5 watts of energy, saving up to $81.68 over the life of the bulb vs. its incandescent equivalent (based on 3 hours/day, 11 cents/kWh, may vary depending on rates and use)
- This bulb costs only $1.26 per year to operate (based on 3 hours/day, 11 cents/kWh) making it an economical alternative to incandescent bulbs
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required and included, Alexa device sold separately).
- Choose from 16 million colors and shades of white to turn your everyday lighting into an extraordinary experience. Control remotely with your smartphone or tablet, create custom scenes and unleash your creativity.
- Voice control: Control your Philips Hue lights with your voice using Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Assistant. Pair it for home automation with your existing Nest or Samsung SmartThings system.
- Lifetime: 25000 hours. To install, simply screw in the smart bulbs into your desired light location, download the Hue mobile app and pair your Hue Hub. Control smart-bulb-equipped lamps and overhead lights via the Philips Hue App. Ideal for your favorite ceiling fan lights, floor lamps, table lamps, pendant lights, and more throughout your home.
- Easily expand your lighting system with accessories (sold separately), such as a Hue Dimmer Switch, Hue Tap, or Hue Motion Sensor.
- Shape: Nightlight (C-7)
- Filament: C-7A Long Life with 7 supports
- Base: E12 (Candelabra/Nightlight)
- Power: 15 W
- Voltage: 120 V
What is a Light Bulb?
While officially patented by Thomas Edison, the invention of the lightbulb predates his version by about seventy years with the invention of the arc lamp by Humphrey Davey in 1802. Simply made of a cotton filament that would glow when powered, this lamp was impressive but impractical. The light produced was too vibrant and the exposed filament posed a serious fire hazard. Further developments were made over the following years, including treating the cotton filament to prevent smoke and encasing the filament in a glass orb filled with nitrogen to produce a stronger flame.
While many individuals contributed on the invention of the light bulb we see today; Edison’s team is credited with perfecting the vacuum seal in modern light bulbs and spearheaded the use of carbonized bamboo filament to produce a longer-lasting light bulb. But we’ve come a long way from the early days of incandescent bulbs.
Types of Light BulbsWhile modern lightbulbs come in all shapes and sizes, most mass-produced version fall into one of four categories: incandescent, compact fluorescent (CFLs), Halogen, and LED bulbs. The first category, incandescent, is the same kind of bulb invented by Edison. By heating up a filament the bulb produces a steady, sustainable source of light. CFLs, on the other hand, superheat mercury to produce a tone controlled, cooler light source that is more cost and energy effective than their forerunners. These are the curly lights that you find in most lamp fixtures. Halogen bulbs, as well as Krypton and Xenon bulbs, work by heating up a filament or other conductor within a bulb that is filled with a type of gas. The type and coloration of the light produced comes from these different gases and how they react to the heat produced by the filament. While Krypton lights produce a very clear, white light, halogen bulbs are more yellow in nature.
The final type of lightbulb is the LED. Known for being more environmentally friendly and economically conservative than their counterparts, these light-emitting diodes take advantage of electroluminescence to produce a vibrant, often colorful light. Since these forms of light produce a very minimal amount of heat and can be made incredibly small, they are used in electronics and remote controls, as well as headlights and flashlights.
With so many different light bulbs to chose from, finding the right source of light for your home, office, work space, or yard can seem challenging. Make sure to keep in mind the different strengths and cost options available when looking to shed a little light on your home.
The Latest In Light Bulbs
No products found.
Light Bulbs Video
Here is a YouTube video discussing various types of light bulbs: